27 May 2009

Into Thin Air

I just finished Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. I LOVED this book. It is SO good. A brief synopsis for you lovely readers not familiar with the 1996 Everest Disaster goes as follows: 34 people tried to summit the same day, and 8 died. (You find this out in the first page or two of the book. I promise I didn't spoil anything.) It goes into lots of details about how mountaineering can be dangerous and what mistakes were made on this particular day. Then it talks about climbing over, around, and past the dead bodies, even years after. Yet, now I REALLY want to climb Everest. Crazy? Yeah. So, I've actually checked out a guiding service, and it costs $65,000, not including all the gear I'd have to buy, my airfare to Nepal, climbing insurance, and the money I actually need to invest to learn to mounaineer. And before all that, I've got to spend a few years learning to climb. Therefore, I think I'll be summitting in approximately 2020. Times ticking!

No comments: